BAYAREASHOWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V/A: Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long (mississippi records, 2008)

Go down

V/A: Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long (mississippi records, 2008) Empty V/A: Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long (mississippi records, 2008)

Post  cheem dandy Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 am

this has to be one of the best records i've picked up in a while, and if you know me which most of you do, i tend to buy a fuckton of records. amazing and totally crushing emotional gospel and spirituals blues from the late 20's/early 30's. as godless as i am and will be forever, its impossible to not feel the power of these recordings.

heres what the stuffy snobsters at good ol' aquarius had to say:

"The folks at Mississippi Records most definitely have good taste in reissues, picking lost, rare, and just plain cool stuff to get reissued on vinyl, but as good as they are at simply picking stuff to be reissued, they're even better at creating compilations, mix tape masters, whose skill at curating collections is way beyond reproach. Just have a look at some past Mississippi comps: I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, Life Is A Problem, Last Kind Words, Love Is Love, Lipa Kodi Ya City Council. Everyone darn near perfect, packaging, song selection, sound, feel, vibe, pretty much everything, every aspect. Some major label with tons of money should swoop in and hire all these folks and get them to do what they're already doing, just with way more resources.
For now though, we're perfectly happy to dig into a new Mississippi comp every few months, and thus, we're super excited about the latest release, another collection of old time gospel and blues called Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long. And it's of course fantastic, an amazing compilation of artists, some well know, others not so, but it's the song selection, the sequence, it's like a mix tape, and as we said above, Mississippi are the masters.
The opener is amazing, and already has us looking for more from Bukka White, his voice rough raw and ragged, but still rich and soulful, backed by some amazing female vocalists, the sound lush and rich, wreathed in old record crackle. Then there's the amazing Bessie Johnson, who has a truly unique voice, a distinctive croon, haunting and throaty, draped over a minimal background, but it hardly matters, her voice is powerful enough to carry any song. Blind Mamie Forehand offers up a gospely number, simple steel string guitar and her deep soulful voice. The Edward Clayborn track sounds super old, the static and hiss almost as loud as the music, but it only makes it sound that much warmer and gorgeously timeworn and weary. Folks heavily into the blues, probably know all of these artists, maybe the songs too, but for some of us, who only have a cursory knowledge, these comps, this comp, offer up an amazing glimpse into another time, a world of sound and songs both personal and passionate, powerful and mesmerizing.
And as we all know, there's nothing quite like getting an amazing mixtape, crammed with songs and sounds that not only mesmerize, but often have you desperately searching for more from the various artists. Mission accomplished. Another winner from Mississippi. "

anyhow its out of print now and in my opinion totally essential listening, so enjoy it!

FIGHT ON, YOUR TIME AIN'T LONG
cheem dandy
cheem dandy

Back to top Go down